What is OUTREACH?
Definition of outreach: A systematic attempt to provide services beyond conventional limits, as to particular segments of a community.
Outreach programs provide social services to people who, for a variety of reasons, might not have access to mainstream services. They are usually carried out by non-profit, nongovernmental organisations with providers meeting those in need at their home locations.
There are four types of outreach situations:
- domiciliary – undertaken at individual homes
- detached – undertaken in public environments with targeted individuals
- peripatetic – undertaken at public or private environments with organizations rather than individuals
- satellite – undertaken at a dedicated site
Which may deliver:
- Community events that occur in local venues or online
- Awareness, skill-building, behavior-changing through lessons, activities or classroom supplements
- Volunteer opportunities
- Student or community-based contests and awards
- Corporate – non-profit partnerships